SEKONDI-TAKORADI DIOCESE TO CELEBRATE 550TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE PLANTING OF THE CROSS AT SHAMA
The Catholic Diocese of Sekondi-Takoradi has lined up a series of activities to celebrate the climax the 550th Anniversary of the Planting of the Cross on the shores of Shama.
This was contained in letter signed Most Rev. John Baptist Attakruh, Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Sekondi-Takoradi addressed to the Priests, Religious and Laity of the Diocese.
Below is the full statement
CLIMAX: 55OTH ANNIVERSARY OF THE PLANTING OF THE CROSS ON THE SHORES OF SHAMA
Peace and Love!
As you already are aware of, this year marks the 550th Anniversary of the Planting of the Cross on the Shores of Shama, a significant historical event that marked the first contact with Christanity in Ghana, even though there was no systematic work of evangelisation then.
On the Feast of the Exaltation of the Cross, 14th. September, 2021, a special diocesan celebration was held at Our Lady of Assumption Church in Shama to commemorate the 550th. Anniversary of the event.
I wish to announce to you the activities planned to climax the anniversary.
Thursday, 28th. October, 2021:
1. Candlelight Procession with Rosary from the beach to Our Lady of Assumption Church, Shama @ 5:00 pm
2. Enactment of the Planting of the Cross on the shores of Shama
Friday, 29th October, 2021:
1. Stations of the Cross from the Church to the forecourt of Fort St. Sebastien
Time: 9.00 am prompt
2. Mass of Thanksgiving at the forecourt of Fort St. Sebastien
Time: 10.00 am.
3. Saturday, 30th. October, 2021
Ordination of Priests
Venue: Star of the Sea Cathedral, Takoradi
Time: 9.00 am prompt.
4. Parishes in Sekondi, Takoradi and Apowa deaneries are to participate fully in the programme for the 28th. and 29th. October, 2021. Parish Priests in these deaneries are to kindly ensure the full participation of their parishioners in these events.
May the celebration of this anniversary help us to understand more deeply the mystery of the Cross and live it as disciples of Christ.
God bless you all.
Yours in Christ,
Most Rev. John Baptist Attakruh
Bishop of the Diocese of Sekondi-Takoradi